Application Deadline: January 9, 2023
UNICEF Venture Fund is looking to make up to US$100K in free equity investments to provide seed (seed) funding to for-profit tech startups developing software solutions using cutting-edge technologies for climate action.
Projects are evaluated by UNICEF Innovation Fund team and recommended for funding to internal board. Businesses must meet the following mandatory requirements to be considered for funding:
- Registered as a private company
- Registered in a UNICEF Program Country (see list here)
- Working on open source technology solutions (or willing to be open source) under the following licenses or their equivalent:
- (i) for the software, a BSD license,
- (ii) for the hardware, a CERN license and
- (iii) a CC-BY license for design or content, a CC-BY license
- An existing prototype of the open source solution with promising results from initial pilots
- The solution has the potential to positively impact the lives of the most vulnerable children
- Generate publicly exposed real-time data that is measurable
All portfolio companies receive tailored support for product development, business model building, and user testing based on their own needs assessment. Startups also gain access to the UNICEF Ventures team’s technological expertise, networks and platforms to help them get to the stage where they can prove their solutions work and tap into larger funding sources.
THE GROWTH OF THE BUSINESS
A network of mentors helps start-up teams build their business model and strategy around open source technology to grow their business and ultimately profit.
In addition to the financial investment, UNICEF startups and country offices receive technical support from the UNICEF Ventures team and dedicated expert mentors to help validate and improve their solutions. Partner connections provide valuable product development experience.
Startups can take advantage of UNICEF Ventures’ dedicated data science team, which hosts and shares data platforms including RapidPro and Magic Box, access unique testing environments such as drone brokers and country office programs, and use corporate partners for possible follow-on funds.
For more information:
Visit the official UNICEF Venture Fund website for cutting-edge technology solutions