Elon Musk says he would reverse ‘dumb’ Twitter ban on Donald Trump | science and technology news

Billionaire Elon Musk, who is set to buy Twitter, has said he would reverse the platform’s “dumb” ban on former US President Donald Trump if his takeover goes through.

The tech mogul said: “Permanent bans should be extremely rare and really reserved for accounts that are bots or spam, fraudulent accounts. I think it was wrong to ban Donald Trump.”

“I think it was a mistake because it alienated a large part of the country and ultimately didn’t result in Donald Trump having no voice.”

“I would reverse the permanent ban,” mr musk aggregate. “I don’t own Twitter yet. So this is not like something that will definitely happen, because what if I don’t own Twitter?”

Musk, who last week secured $7 billion from new investors for its $44 billion acquisitionHe continued, “I think the permanent bans fundamentally undermine trust in Twitter as a public square where everyone can voice their opinion. I think it was a morally bad decision.” [to ban him] and silly in the extreme.”

The Tesla and SpaceX boss claimed his disapproval of the permanent bans was shared by co-founder and former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

Speaking to the Financial Times at a summit, Musk said mr trump is “now going to be on Truth Social [another social media platform] as will much of the right in the United States and I think this, frankly, may end up worse than having a single forum where everyone can debate.”

In response to Musk’s comments, Dorsey wrote on Twitter: “I agree. There are exceptions (CSE, illegal behavior, spam or network manipulation, etc.), but generally permanent bans are our failure and don’t work.” .

Joe Biden’s White House administration said it was a decision for a private sector company to make about who would or would not be allowed on its platform.

Read more:
Twitter’s ‘worst’ banned trolls see a way back through Musk
Musk secures £7bn from new investors to pay for Twitter takeover
Musk and Twitter reach an agreement for a acquisition of 44,000 million dollars

Trump was permanently suspended from Twitter in January 2021 following the attack by his supporters on the united states capitol which left several people dead.

The tech company said it made the decision after the Jan. 6 riots “because of the risk of further incitement to violence.”

Trump at the time had more than 80 million followers on the platform.

But once Musk announced that he was interested in taking over the company in part to turn it into a free speech platform, questions arose about whether he would invite Trump again.

On Tuesday, the 50-year-old businessman said that if someone tweets “something that is illegal … then maybe there should be a timeout, a temporary ban, or that particular tweet should become invisible or have very limited traction.” “.

Trump said last month that he would not return to the company if given the chance.

“No, I’m not going back to Twitter,” the former president told CNBC’s Joe Kernen.

Follow the daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

“I’ll be on Truth Social within the week. It’s scheduled. We have a lot of people signed up. I like Elon Musk. I really like him. He’s a great person. We did a lot for Twitter when he was in the White House. I was disappointed in the way Twitter treated me. I’m not going back on Twitter,” Trump said.

Add Comment