Deadline for application: April 30, 2022 – 23:59 CET
The digital power challenge for startups each year it awards 5 to 8 startups working on innovative digital projects that aim to increase access to energy and improve the performance of the electricity grid in Africa.
The call for projects is open to start-ups and utility companies.
The startup must meet the following criteria:
- Created less than 10 years ago
- Be in the pre-seed/early-stage funding phase, i.e. less than €1 million of funding raised
- Annual turnover of less than €1M
- Employ between 1 and 99 people full time.
NGOs can apply in the start-up category if the project meets one of the following additional criteria:
- The project is configured as a company as a branch of the NGO
- The project has a dedicated team and business plan, and clearly aims at sustainability/profitability of the business (eg plans to spin off as an independent entity).
Finally, the start-up project must meet one of the three themes mentioned above and be:
- Digital i.e. based on a telecommunications, computer or cloud-based technology
- Innovativeeither intrinsically or compared to the local market
- Local i.e. based or with project management activities in the country of the project
For each annual call for projects, the 5 to 8 winning start-ups will benefit from:
- Financial support of up to €150K including: Grant funding contribute to equipment, software, training, and hiring costs; Technical assistance (awarded on a case-by-case basis), which could include project management support, strategic and technical expertise, and accounting/reporting assistance
- A joint training camp led by cross-sector experts, to support the implementation of projects, provide sectoral information, foster synergies between project winners and foster the exchange of best practices
- Extensive communication campaigns. flown by AFD during the selection phase, awards ceremony, bootcamp and for a period of time after these events.
How to apply:
one. Download Startup Application Packet (email address required)DOWNLOAD APPLICATION PACKET
two. Watch the recording of the webinar in English here or in French here
3. Fill out the application form and prepare the required documents.
Four. Send your project before April 30, 2022 – 23:59 CET
For more information:
Visit the official website of the French Development Agency (AFD) Digital Challenge 2022